Skip to main content

First Time Solo Travelling : Malang, Paris of East Java

I have been wanting to travel solo; like truly alone, with no relatives nor friends I know. These past few days I have finally had my wish! Yay!

I am now writing from a coffee shop in Malang, a lovely city, my 2nd fav after Bandung ;)
The place is called 'Java Dancer'. I think it has great coffee (and pizza.. yum!).

Source : TripAdvisor

You can find the little, open-spaced coffee shop at :
Jl. Kahuripan 12 
Malang 65111
Nearby Bundaran Tugu, Malang

Try the Orange Coffee !
Please leave the sugar alone so you can truly taste the bean




I arrived here yesterday to obtain primary data for my senior thesis.
"Look, baby, how far ma would go to give birth to you", talking to my T**
And I have finally got the permission letter to conduct data collection.

I hope this information could help.
If you have a research and in need of getting primary data.
You can email  bromotenggersemerutn@gmail.comand explain briefly your purpose.
An officer then will contact you for a presentation schedule as a requirement of getting permission letter to enter the conservation area and its surroundings.

With the letter in my hand, tomorrow I will depart to Bromo and spend a night there.
I hope I would have enough time to obtain all of the information that I need :)




Anyhow, my purpose of writing this post is to share my happiness of travelling in hijab
(and the attitude that comes with it)!


It helps you get through roadblock.
Last night, I walked around Soekarno Hatta area (Suhat) confusedly.
I was looking for a place to print my proposal for the presentation.
I left at 7 pm, a bit unsure of my destination (I was clueless honestly).
I walked 1,5 km while asking people who, in my opinion, looked friendly.

Being really desperate,  a man suddenly offered me a ride on his motorcycle.
Of course, I said no! I might be naive, but not crazy.
So, I continued walking while praying in my heart (read: literally talking to Allah to please help me).
Out of nowhere, I came across a very tiny signage showing "computer rent & printing" service; just 20m across an 'almost unnoticeable' alleyway...
The owner was a moslem woman and she had just parked her motorcycle.
She said she noticed me roaming the street earlier.
What a coincidence, right?!



It protects you and draws good people to your life.
This one was even more magical.

I was walking from the National Park office just then, asking people of how to get to Bundaran Tugu.
I finally got into an 'angkot' (public transport), where an old man offered to help with the direction.
So I hopped on.. And this conversation happened:

Old Man: Where have you been?
Me : I have just visited Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park office.
Old Man: Do you work there? Do you know a person named Indah? She's my niece.
Me : I am sorry, I do not know. I only visit for a research purpose.
Old Man : Oh, so you are a student.. Where are you from?
Me : Yes I am. I am from Jakarta

Long story short, he gave me tips of travelling alone in Malang.
He asked me to be careful, that I should not leave homestay at night
(because he said I looked vulnerable & obviously not a native).
He asked me to visit him whenever I can (and want).
He gave me his name and said that I could find his house just by asking around in his neighborhood.
He said I reminded him of his grandchild, who wore hijab #GoSisterhood :)

What surprised me was that he even paid for my fare!
He even told the driver to drop me near by my destination.
He was a retiree of Indonesian Forest Enterprises (read: Perhutani) and he hoped that my thesis would be helpful & useful for the ministry.
Thank you Pak Haji Slamet. I hope we could meet again someday!
I am so touched.



It makes life easier & lighter.
You know, I think wearing hijab is not just an obligation as a moslem woman;
but it also grows the attitude, which is most important, in my humble opinion.

If you know me before I wore hijab, I knew less about Islam..
Perhaps even far from interested in knowing more.
I just believe in the so-called "golden rules" and "doing good deeds".
But I always question what I want in my life, what I want to become & to do.

For the first time, I feel whole.
I guess getting closer to Allah makes great differences.

Whenever I feel troubled or confused, I become more patient & accepting.
I believe whatever that will happen & has happened are the best things;
either they give lessons nor save me from less-than-great.
Tawakkul (trusting in God's plan) really gives a new level of peace for me.

I could feel like the luckiest person in the world
finding place to print my proposal that night;
taking only one day to get my permission letter;
meeting a very nice old man to give me direction;
finding a mosque while I was questioning where I could do Asr prayer;
I guess Allah will hug you lovingly if you draw yourself closer


This trip has taught me things I cannot describe.
I am so grateful for everything, every day, every second that passes.
Alhamdulillah :)




Regards,
Annisa Ayuningtyas

PS: I always thought that my name is very common ..
Questioning why ma & pa named me Annisa, which means "Woman", which is obvious #doh
Now I feel proud whenever I introduce myself as Annisa ;) I am Annisa!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Married & Expecting

Hi there, It's been awhile since the last time I wrote. I am now finally a Mrs. Never thought that after getting married, life gets even better. I never thought I could be this happy. It's like a dream :) Waking up everyday feeling grateful. Also, we are pregnant!!! With a little, acrobatic, baby boy (the last time we checked). I am currently learning new things day by day. The new kind of happiness The first time we got that two stripes, it was indescribable. Also the happy tears every time we peek our little swimmer through USG :') The dramatic change with my body My oh my, I never thought I could constantly feel like a balloon that is about to burst. The magical world of weird food I drink boiled water of  mung bean daily... (And I was so surprised how essential it is to pregnancy, beyond its common belief to encourage beautiful, thick hair growth for the baby) The surprising pain              and the nausea ... :'( Currently in my 2nd tri

Hamsterrific!

Sunday morning is really special for me! It's time for my hamsters :)) Yes, every Sunday morning my daddy, my sister and I have all the hamsters out. We clean all the cages and aquariums. That's one o' our way of having good quality time as a family. Daddy usually washes the cars and mummy cooks lunch. Pure happiness  ♥ Well in this post I'd like you to meet my babies. Yes all my hamsters... I have 13 of them :) Here is Jackie... We call her "Kubil" cause she's so annoying She loves to bite! *that's why I used that pink mop* She's a winter white pearl. I did have a complete family, but they died of rat attack long time ago. She's the only one left. Poor her... My boyfriend loves her so much *jealousy* (-,-)  Here goes Judith.. I was inspired by The Beatles' song "Hey Jude" His full name is Judith Rochelle and he's a Syirian Long-Hair. He's cute and cuddly.. My favourite! He's the oldest an