Skip to main content

One of The Most Important Decision

So many things happened in life recently.

I have just lost a grandpa..
A person whose stories I will forever miss.
A person who could make people feel so much.
I am so lucky to be able to be beside him through his last moments.


How can I describe it?
My grandpa passed away peacefully.

He was healthy, just went to doctor for a check up,
when he found out that his heart was running only with 40% function.
He then got hospitalized for a week.
His heart was weak, which inevitably impacted his lungs;
But he was still able to talk & do things normally. Just needed to stay in bed.

I spent my weekend with him.
I scooped him some mashed banana, so it would be easier for him to swallow medicine.
I helped him with his cough..
I have never imagined I would see him not-energized.. My grandpa, a war hero...
He was a very active man. Even after turning 88 yo, he still spent the weekend visiting his children/grandchildren.

What really touched me was that:
even in his last moments, he was still keeping his salat (prayer).
From time to time, asking: "is it time to pray already?"
I watched him while he did tayammum.. It was one of the most wonderful thing I have ever seen.
A dedication of a person towards his belief.
Don't worry, in my life, I always do Salat & Zakat
He said that words to me the night before he passed away;
after listening to & reciting surah Al-Baqarah.
My mum told me that grandpa was ready.
He had seen his new 'home', a very good place he said.
He thanked my dad for 'renovating' it...


How about my dad (and mum)?
I am not sure that I can 'renovate' their future home.

It took me 3 weeks to think about it.
Throughout the days, even in dreams.

I talked to my friends who already wore Hijab,
I listened to their story of why & how they first decided.
Each day I get more convinced & sure about it.

Finally, yesterday I felt like I would never leave home without covering myself.
I felt naked & I felt really bad.. I thought about my dad who took all the burden.
It has been 15 years (and more) ever since I reached puberty.
So I have made my decision. I am ready.


From my experience of 1st day wearing hijab, covering myself..
I can say it bring better things. Sincerity & Respect.
I can feel how men stare at me, genuinely & respectfully.
My hijab makes me feel protected of being objectified. 
Girls who wear hijab suddenly become even more friendlier & welcome.
It feels like I am meeting new long-lost sisters.
I feel like someone new; a better version of myself.
Wearing a symbol of Islam makes me feel like I need to behave.
Whatever I do will directly affect other's perception of Islam.
Islam teaches good things & virtue. Thus, I shall speak that language, always.
It has only been 2 days.
I cannot lie that it feels hotter than it used to be (especially because I usually wore short skirt & sleeveless, light tops); but things that come from wearing hijab are amazing!

:)

Plus, hijab redefines beauty.
I honestly feel prettier covering myself.
I am saving the best for my last (and my family, of course). 



Cheers,
Annisa Ayuningtyas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Married & Expecting

Hi there, It's been awhile since the last time I wrote. I am now finally a Mrs. Never thought that after getting married, life gets even better. I never thought I could be this happy. It's like a dream :) Waking up everyday feeling grateful. Also, we are pregnant!!! With a little, acrobatic, baby boy (the last time we checked). I am currently learning new things day by day. The new kind of happiness The first time we got that two stripes, it was indescribable. Also the happy tears every time we peek our little swimmer through USG :') The dramatic change with my body My oh my, I never thought I could constantly feel like a balloon that is about to burst. The magical world of weird food I drink boiled water of  mung bean daily... (And I was so surprised how essential it is to pregnancy, beyond its common belief to encourage beautiful, thick hair growth for the baby) The surprising pain              and the nausea ... :'( Currently in my 2nd tri

Hamsterrific!

Sunday morning is really special for me! It's time for my hamsters :)) Yes, every Sunday morning my daddy, my sister and I have all the hamsters out. We clean all the cages and aquariums. That's one o' our way of having good quality time as a family. Daddy usually washes the cars and mummy cooks lunch. Pure happiness  ♥ Well in this post I'd like you to meet my babies. Yes all my hamsters... I have 13 of them :) Here is Jackie... We call her "Kubil" cause she's so annoying She loves to bite! *that's why I used that pink mop* She's a winter white pearl. I did have a complete family, but they died of rat attack long time ago. She's the only one left. Poor her... My boyfriend loves her so much *jealousy* (-,-)  Here goes Judith.. I was inspired by The Beatles' song "Hey Jude" His full name is Judith Rochelle and he's a Syirian Long-Hair. He's cute and cuddly.. My favourite! He's the oldest an

First Time Solo Travelling : Malang, Paris of East Java

I have been wanting to travel solo; like truly alone, with no relatives nor friends I know.  These past few days I have finally had my wish! Yay! I am now writing from a coffee shop in Malang, a lovely city, my 2nd fav after Bandung ;) The place is called 'Java Dancer'. I think it has great coffee (and pizza.. yum!). Source : TripAdvisor You can find the little, open-spaced coffee shop at : Jl. Kahuripan 12  Malang 65111 Nearby Bundaran Tugu, Malang Try the Orange Coffee ! Please leave the sugar alone so you can truly taste the bean I arrived here yesterday to obtain primary data for my senior thesis. "Look, baby, how far ma would go to give birth to you" , talking to my T** And I have finally got the permission letter to conduct data collection. I hope this information could help. If you have a research and in need of getting primary data. You can email   bromotenggersemerutn@gmail.com and explain briefly your purpose. An officer then wi